Updated December 12th 2017
What Makes a great cyclist? By Paddy Doran
I have been very lucky over the years that I have been involved in cycling and some other sports as a competitor, coach and masseur. during that time I have met and dealt with some great athletes.
Here’s some qualities That I have observed over the years. Its interesting that when you read them that you realise that so much about being a great cyclist is mental fitness.
GOOD OR GREAT?
I think we also need to distinguish between a good and great athlete, the great athletes sometimes have more on the physical level. But they definitely have a champions mentality which separates the great from the good cyclist!
THE CHAMPIONS MENTALITY
There are many good cyclists who could be great cyclists if they had the Champions mentality So what makes a great Cyclist? these are some of my observations
- They love their sport
- wanting to be a great cyclist
- Are willing to work to be a great athlete
- Can work well with people
- Take personal responsibility
- Can live with winning or not winning and still get up the next day and try as hard as the previous day
- Is physically strong
- Has a strong immune system
- Is smart
- Is confident
- Loves a challenge
- Will do whatever is required within the rules to be as good as he/she can
- Will look for the best support possible
- Has clear goals
- Can switch on and off mentally
- Has a good pre event focus
- Is prepared to be an individual and stand out from the crowd
- Is able to plan well
- Has good self discipline and leads a sporting lifestyle
- Is intrinsically motivated
have you many of them?
Quote: (Winners make goals / Losers make excuses) Professor Aiden Moran NCT 98
Paddy Doran High Performance cycling coach
- Making it as a pro cyclist, being cruel to be kind - July 4, 2020
- Triathlon Bike Cadence - June 29, 2020
- Cyclists and the accidental mystery peak performances - June 22, 2020